The Bitter Truth
In the golden age of the American cocktail, bitters were an essential ingredient and there were a vast array of flavors to choose from. Bitters complement and embellish the flavor of a well-made cocktail and they were carefully crafted with this in mind.
When prohibition hit (1920-1933) ingredients became scarce and people had to drink bootlegged liquor, doing what they could to hide the taste of their illicit hooch. American alcohol production was halted and sadly, bitters fell into oblivion. Only a few brands were able to survive this dry period and not all of them could bounce back after repeal, hit successively by economic depression and war. Some brands tried to imitate the successes of pre-prohibition cocktail bitters but with limited success, until recently.
Since 2006, The Bitter Truth forged the way for the re-emergence of the category of bitters in our modern age. With careful research, quality produce and tight production, The Bitter Truth have revived the practice of creating quality cocktail bitters.
The Bitter Truth was established by passionate bartenders Stephan Berg and Alexander Hauck in idyllic Bavaria with the intention of supplying bar aficionados with cocktail bitters that have not been seen in a century. Both men gained experience making small-batch cocktail bitters for the bars they represented. For years Stephan has been collecting ancient cocktail books and authentic bitters from the late 19th and early 20th century, and these were the inspiration for their first choice of cocktail bitter flavors.
Alexander, who is also a graphic designer, created the distinctive look and feel of the packaging. The bitters are specifically designed for recreating classic drinks made true to the original recipe or for experimentation with modern cocktail creations.
The range of bitters grew steadily and The Bitter Truth expanded their collection to include products like liqueurs and flavored spirits; again, produced using the best quality natural ingredients. The Bitter Truth has received multiple awards for their products and continue to innovate in their beloved bar world.
Discover the large range of The Bitter Truth products here or for additional information please visit:
What are bitters?
Bitters traditionally are composed of aromatic oils and essences from fruits, herbs, roots, barks, seeds, etc. and an alcoholic base to create a bitter or bittersweet potion. They were originally developed as patent medicines but now serve as digestifs and cocktail flavorings.
Traditional Manufacturing Process
- Only ingredients of the highest quality are used for The Bitter Truth product
- Maceration & Percolation: Extraction of flavors by soaking ingredients in alcohol or water
- Long extraction period: Depending on the product the maceration process can take up to 2 months
- After the maceration/percolation process is finished the liquid is filtered and water or alcohol is added to set it to its final alcohol strength
- Maturation period: The product is then filled in casks for harmonization
- As the last step, the product is eventually tinged, bottled and labeled
The Purpose of Bitters
Tasting Bogart’s Bitters
The Origin of Bitters
The Very First Bitters
Explore the brand specifics (type, category and download) options below:
Related Products (List)
- The Bitter Truth Bogart’s Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Old Time Aromatic Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Creole Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Chocolate Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Orange Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Lemon Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Grapefruit Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Peach Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Tonic Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Celery Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Cucumber Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Olive Bitters
- The Bitter Truth Bitters Travel Pack
- The Bitter Truth Cocktail Bitters Bar Pack
- The Bitter Truth Drops and Dashes – Root
- The Bitter Truth Drops and Dashes – Wood
- The Bitter Truth Drops and Dashes – Blossom
- The Bitter Truth Drops and Dashes – Nut
- The Bitter Truth E**X**R Liqueur
- The Bitter Truth Violet Liqueur
- The Bitter Truth Pimento Dram Liqueur
- The Bitter Truth Elderflower Liqueur
- The Bitter Truth Golden Falernum Liqueur
- The Bitter Truth Apricot Liqueur
- The Bitter Truth Pink Gin
- The Bitter Truth Rose Water
- The Bitter Truth Orange Flower Water
Related Products (Gallery)
Importing Fine Wines & Spirits From Around The Globe
We are committed to developing long-term relationships with our distributors and suppliers in all 50 states. Take the time to experience Vision Wine and Spirits, and discover a whole new world of flavor.